Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Bonus post- the Creative Process, Patreon style

So my best friend supports my efforts in this endeavor even though we're distant. And so when it came time for his doodle that we promised him for his patronage, Koen started working. I made some recommendations but they didn't all fly. So here's the first draft.



Neat, love the suit, the little lunar lander driver is cute and it all sorta works, but I wanted the spaceknight in it, To offer a representation of what I wanted, a little chicanery led to me sending this back:

Rar. He is mechanoid, he is mighty, fear him.


At any rate, that got him something of the idea, so he cranked out this:






Okay, better. He's in there and he has the big gun I requested, but he kind of looks more like a 'space squire' that a spaceknight. I also like how he's looking directly at her chest in the form-fitting spacesuit.

Just sayin.

Next came an evolutionary leap, with...


Yeah! Now that is a funky-looking alien spaceknight who's mechanoid! Okay Koen, add in that BFG from the Squire (whose design we are totally going to use for someone else) and make Ronni a bit smaller.
In a moment of genius Koen took his camera, pointed the skype camera toward his tablet screen and grabbed the Ronni layer. He shrunk her to the size I specified then snugged her in where I wanted her planted. Boom, done.





Then just came the strengthening of the lines. And him losing his pointy duckbill chin.




So there you have it. Still isn't done yet, but by the time we're done we'll have brought Shirva the Spaceknight to glorious life, and created a great bit for one of our longest running supporters. This was a visual tour of some of the creative process- we hope you enjoyed it!


EDIT: Finished inked version with proposed background:





Blog thing, Ah think Ah luv yoo. With Cameron's permission implied, the final piece.



















No comments:

Post a Comment