Sunday, August 3, 2014

I 9 P 30 "Whattya say, girlie?"

Witht his page I was really pushing Koen to give me underlighting. In some situations Ronni is going to be underlit, because she's taller than the light sources. And this was the first such image that we had really done for that, and I tried to convey that to him. However, he has spent nine issues learning how to draw her with overhead lighting, so it was a bit of a hard habit to break, and we see his first efforts here.

I also experimented with the dialogue, as I was attempting to draw the eye in a circular motion to follow the action and the dialogue.

Issue 9 - Page 30

I think it worked okay, though I could still use some polishing. And while I wanted this page a bit darker, gamma correcting them was the answer, but I wouldn't discover that for a few pages yet.

And I like this as a Ronni page because not only does it feature her getting big in a smaller space, which she seldom does despite the level of control over her abilities that she regularly demonstrates, but it also shows an end to her patience. She sees the danger, and sticks around to see if she can help instead of just leaving as she was planning to do. And once her gentle please for calm sanity fail, she steps it up and falls back on a little old-fashioned intimidation.

As a no-prize, I don't think Koen ever got around to putting PQ's scepter back in her hand in panel 3. And he kinda forgot about that underlighting in that panel. But he's working on it and you will see it evolve over the next few pages along with some fun sequences. So stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment