Sunday, August 10, 2014

I 9 P 33 "Prom Queen, dagnabbit!"

So this is one of those things that just tickles me, and makes my existence entertaining, at least to me. Here we have a great and classic  birth of a villain piece. Splash page, of course- always take an excuse for a splash page. But in this case she deserved it. She has some cosmic power juicing up there that would do John Byrne proud (apparently this is my Byrne homage episode as well, with the Ronni coming out of the bathroom scene. "Late I amy be, but surely worth the wait?").

But the cheery part of all of this is the level of detail- the torn up floorboards, the coalescing crackling cosmic power, the low camera angle to increase dramatic tension, the dimmed lighting beyond her, the prom banners Wendie lettered individually. That cheery-ass font we did her logo in we used it for White Rabbit last month. We might have to license that one, because I like the idea of a standardized set of fonts for this project. All the merchandising on shared fonts worketh for me too.

At any rate, all that amazing teamwork and all of that gravitas and all for a hick girl from a redneck high school in a damaged prom dress who is starting to resemble a troglodyte.

Prom Queen was originally created in the supplement for the Superbabes RPG sourcebook Knockouts & Powerhouses. I don't have my copy handy, but I'm pretty sure she's about the same- big, dumb, mean, whackin stick. Might be in AC unbound but pretty sure it's K&B. Recognize her Cam? Oddly enough I think she published without an image.




And of course Jose is not giving up his crown without a fight, bitchy super powers or not.




A magnificent page all around, I think. We all take a bow on this one, and stand proud of our work.

We make comics.






No comments:

Post a Comment